My Comeback RUN!

I had such a great run that I can hardly contain myself. I did everything right all week, got my daily runs in, ate good, hydrated…. on top of it all the day was PERFECT… not too hot, not too breezy and SUNNY! The running gods all united for me today!

I woke up at 5:30, had my coffee and Ezekiel muffin with peanut butter. I headed out about 7:00 so I could stop at the store for Powerade and Snickers (I forgot about the Skittles, darn it!). All week I was a bit worried about this run after my miserable 16 miler a couple of weeks ago. This past Sunday I did 10 miles, but I can’t say it was my best. I put in miles each day this week, but never felt that great. The main goal this week was to get back into the running mode. I had to prove to myself that I could get back and do the work. So, this morning when I woke up and started to get ready my main concern was being calm and focused. I told myself that I can be out there as long as I need to to get the miles in. No pressure. I was going to remain positive and just do what I needed to do.

Then I made my way to the battlefield. I love this place – it is a 3 mile loop with one way traffic, but there are hardly any cars. There were lots of other walkers, runners and cyclists. There were some people from the Spartanburg running club there getting in a few miles. They were finishing up by the time I got started (a little after 8:00). When I got there I took my time getting myself situated. There a lot to do to prepare for this distance… I had to get my fuel belt ready, my IPod on and at the right volume, gloves, shoes tied the right way, everything tucked in… I had to lay my Powerade bottles out for easy access. I knew I was going to have to refill my fuel belt and I did not want to take any time. There were to be NO rest stops this run. I was going to time it so I could run up, refill and keep going.

Well, this picture is BEFORE I got everything situated, but you get the idea.

I headed out and it was a bit chilly. I was happy to have my gloves and long sleeve shirt on. By mile 6 I was hot. Good thing it was time to refill my bottles. I stripped down while running so I could just toss them in the car, refill and keep going. I was tempted to run in my tank top, but I kept on my tee shirt – I wore my Myrtle Beach Marathon shirt. It actually was perfect for running. The short sleeves are long enough that I could strap on my IPod over the sleeve so it didn’t rub my skin.

I took in about 4oz of Powerade about every mile and had a mini Snickers bar at mile 6 and mile 12. Although they tasted good, they sat a bit heavy in my stomach so I decided to do without for the last 8 miles. I was fine with just the Powerade.

I ran pretty consistently, but there were still some points were I felt tired. At mile 16 I got a burst of energy as I saw that I was going to beat my best time. I got to mile 16 at 3:02, my previous best time was 3:06.

Miles 19 and 20 were tough, as always, but I stayed strong. The end was in sight. I was so excited because after my mile 16 excitement I realized that if I kept strong I would finish in less than 4 hours. LESS THAN 4 HOURS! That is unheard of for me. I was very motivated to do that but I didn’t want to get excited too early. I could feel my legs getting tired and I knew I was close to being done. I was ready to be done.

The last few one-hundreths of a mile pass slowing…. 19.86, 19.90, 19.95, 19.97, 19.98, 19.99…20!!!! Finally! I thought it would never come.Ā  Lo and behold I look at my watch and it says 3:51! Three hours and fifty minutes. I cannot even believe my eyes. I was thrilled beyond belief.

I walked around a bit at the car, stretched and drank my chocolate milk. It was delicious.

I quickly changed my clothes in the car, splashed off my face with some water and went shopping! I sure I looked terrible, but I was close to the Outlet mall and I really needed more PowerSox – the BEST running socks ever, but Gold Toe. PLUS, the additional benefit, of course, is that there is a Starbucks there!

My reward:

My all-time favorite – pure and simple – Venti Iced Non-fat Latte. No flavoring, no sweetner. It really hit the spot.

I ran a bunch of errands and finally made it home. I had a lot to do today and got it all done.

I finally ate dinner at 5:30 – I made a delicious avocado BLT – it was the BEST sandwich I have ever had!

There are a few more things to do before I finally get to relax and wait for my girls to get home!



  1. Scarlette

    Wow, wow, and WOW!!! The universe may have been on your side, but YOU DID IT ALL BY YOURSELF!!! Your strength, endurance and will! Way to go šŸ™‚

    BTW, was your avg HR 151? Um, that’s low…and should tell you that you CAN push faster, so no more “slow talk”…and our course is gonna be super-flat.

  2. lauraph2009

    It is not so bad by myself. There were a couple of other people out there doing laps in the opposite direction as me and we would wave and give each other pep talks.
    My average HR was 154 – max 170. Remember, I am older and heavier than you so my heart rate is different.
    My 80-90% range is 144-162 so actually I was working right at 85% of my max heart rate most of the time. PLUS, remember I read that cardiovascular endurance improves much more rapidly that muscular endurance… that is what I have a problem with. My body gets fatigued long before my heart does!

  3. You did so amazing!! I am so excited for you!!! I knew you were going to get back into it and hit it strong!! Awesome šŸ™‚ So happy for you šŸ™‚ Can’t wait to hear how your marathon goes šŸ™‚ You rock!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: